Monday, July 24, 2017

"Religion Bouquet (Stronger Together)" - In Progress 4

To read about religious discrimination and why tolerance of people of all religions (and non-religions) is so important, visit this blog post.

To read about the religious symbolism of the 24 flowers used in this drawing, go back to this blog post.

-

The initial sketch of my "Religion Bouquet" drawing is complete on the 19"x25" black Canson Mi-Teintes paper - which means it's time to start going through and building up layers of color and detail, flower by flower.

Today's post is going to show the first six flowers that I worked on during this second go-round, starting with the ti leaves at the top. For these large ti leaves, I used three shades of red and five shades of green:






Just to the left of these, I worked on the bunch of cattails. I used two brown colored pencils, three green pencils, yellow, and cream:





To the right of the ti leaves is a sprig of enchanter's nightshade, an herb with tiny white blooms. I used a light green pencil, white, brown, red, and a pink colored pencil for this plant:





Back on the left side of the bouquet, I used three shades of green, three shades of purple, one pink, one magenta, one blue-violet, and one cream pencil to color in the violets:





Below the violets, I'd sketched in a bunch of plumeria. I colored these in with dark green, bright green, white, cream, yellow, orange, and brown:






And for this quartet of black-eyed susans, I used black, pumpkin orange, orange, yellow, cream, white, and bright green colored pencils:





Here's what the entire drawing looks like so far, with the first six completed. You can also see in this picture where the rest of the flowers are sketched in lightly, ready and waiting for more color to help them stand out against the black paper.




Check back again soon for more posts - and more pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment