Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Floral Alphabet Watercolor - K & L

The next two alphabet watercolors I completed were letters K and L. If you've been following along with these blog posts, you're undoubtedly familiar with the process by now - I used the same technique for each, as well as the same five colors, to give the whole series a uniform feel.

I started with an ink outline on watercolor paper, and then taped them down onto gatorboard to hold them flat while I added paint.




The first layer of paint was just light color. I decided which flowers would be which colors, and let the color leak into the background in strategic places, to draw attention to the watercolor medium.






Next, I splatter pink and yellow paint across the paintings by getting a brush very wet with just a little pigment, and then flicking the brush with my finger to make the paint splatter or rain down.




Finally, I added dark blue and purple to the non-floral parts of the letters, and added brighter and darker green, yellow, and pink to the flowers and leaves.








Here are the finished paintings:





No comments:

Post a Comment