Monday, February 11, 2019

Floral Alphabet Watercolors - M & N

With these two letters, I'm finally into the last half of the alphabet! These paintings are part of my floral alphabet watercolor series, which includes twenty six 5"x7" watercolors, one for each letter of the alphabet.

I started by drawing an ink outline on watercolor paper, and then taping the paper down onto gatorboard to help it lie flat while I added paint.




For my first color layer, I put the color down really lightly. The M was especially fun because it was such a big/wide letter, with lots of room for big flowers!






Next, I splattered each painting with yellow and pink paint.




Finally, I darkened the non-floral parts of the letters with dark purple and blue, and added more yellow and pink to the flowers, and green to the leaves, to give the painting some dimension and help the abstract flowers look almost like stained glass.







Here are the final two paintings, untaped and signed.






Once all twenty-six paintings are complete, my plan is to scan them in to my computer and print them as art prints on notecards.

No comments:

Post a Comment