Monday, February 25, 2019

Floral Alphabet Watercolors - Q & R

Only 10 more letters to go in my floral alphabet watercolor set! I decided to paint Q-V all at the same time, so the first image is of the ink outlines of those six paintings taped down to my gatorboard - while the rest of this post is dedicated just to the letters Q and R.





I was pretty happy with the procedures I'd established for my first 16 paintings, so I continued doing the same thing. I started with a light wash of color to establish which flowers would be painted which color. This is also where I let some of the color "leak" out of the letter outlines to lightly stain the background and give the finished paintings a real watercolor look.




My next layer was yellow and pink paint splatter, along with some preliminary darkening of the blue-violet non-floral parts of the letters.






Finally, I added more layers of yellow, pink, and green to the floral and leafy areas, as well as further darkened up the blue-violet background areas.







When the paintings were dry, I untaped them, signed them, and photographed them.






Come back soon to see my next blog post - letters S & T!

No comments:

Post a Comment