Saturday, February 2, 2019

Floral Alphabet Watercolors - I & J

If you recall from previous posts, I finished out 2018 with a series of small 5"x7" watercolor paintings, one for each letter of the alphabet. Though I finished the last of these paintings at the end of December, I'm still getting around to organizing my photos of the paintings in progress, watermarking them, and posting them to this blog.

I worked on letters I - P all at the same time, building up layer by layer. Here are all eight, taped down to lie flat while I painted them. I started with an ink outline before I taped them down.




Though I worked on I - P simultaneously, today's post is just about the letters I and J. I painted a soft, light layer to start with, color blocking where I wanted my five colors to go.







Next, I added pink and yellow paint splatter to each painting.




The last step of the process included adding darker and brighter colors, to give the paintings a "stained glass" effect. As with my earlier alphabet paintings, I used pink, yellow, light green, blue, and purple colored paint.







Here are the final paintings, untaped and signed.






After the last letter is completed, these paintings will all be scanned and printed on notecards - one large initial on the front, with a blank inside. Look for them in my Etsy shop soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment