Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Floral Alphabet Watercolors - S & T

For these 5"x7" watercolor paintings of the letters S and T, I started with an ink outline of the letters with an abstract floral pattern. I taped these down to help keep them in place (and to keep the paper from warping when it got wet) before I began painting.




Then, I completed an initial light wash of color, letting the watercolor ooze outside of the ink outlines in a few places to give it a painterly feel.





I next started darkening the non-floral areas of the letters (a.k.a. the background) with blue and violet watercolor paint.




I splatter pink and yellow paint over both paintings for further detail/visual interest.






Finally, I darkened the blue-violet areas more, and added more layers of pink, yellow, and green to the floral and leafy parts of the design, painting only strategic areas to give it an almost "stained glass" abstract look.






Here are the final paintings, after they've dried, been untaped, and signed.





No comments:

Post a Comment