Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Coneflowers Acrylic Painting

I finally finished the series of six acrylic paintings I started back in February. Each is 8x10" in size AND they are now all up on my Etsy page, available for purchase!

Because there are six of them, I gave them titles inspired by David Mitchell's novel "Cloud Atlas." I'll post more about each of the titles and what it means in an upcoming post; for today (and tomorrow), I am just going to focus on the process I used to create these paintings, showing the step-by-step "in progress" photos.

This painting is "Toppling Dominos," which features abstract coneflowers. As with the rest of this series, I used Liquitex Pro acrylic paint on Strathmore acrylic paper.

(Once again, I don't know why my phone camera captured little yellowish shadow lines for some of these pictures. I suspect it is because of the flickering fluorescent lighting I have in my studio room in the basement, but I don't know how to fix it so that my camera doesn't have this issue.)

This painting is for sale on Etsy here.

First, I traced the design onto the acrylic paper. Then, I started with a layer of yellow-orange acrylic paint:





Once all of the highlights were finished in yellow, I added a layer of blue for the midtones:








Using this same "paint by number" technique, I painted in the pattern that I traced into the background:




Finally, I went through and added in black acrylic paint (mixed with just a touch of purple/red) in the background to help the yellows and blues really "pop":









Here is the final, completed painting:












This painting is for sale on Etsy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment