Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Western U.S. Road Trip

Here are some of my favorite photos from the "Out West" part of our Western U.S. road trip in 2012. My husband and I joined three friends on a drive from Michigan to Oklahoma City, through Arizona and Utah to see the Grand Canyon and Zion National Park, to L.A. for the X-Games, through the Rockies and Colorado, up to South Dakota to see Mt. Rushmore, up through Michigan's Upper Peninsula, and then back across the Mackniac Bridge home to Metro-Detroit.

Some of the parts of this trip have already been posted to this blog - namely, the photos I took of the U.P. and northern L.P., in Michigan, as well as photos of beaches in California.

Today the focus is OKC & the Grand Canyon.

Our first stop on the road trip was Oklahoma City, to visit a friend. The downtown area is really beautiful, with a canal running through. We walked around a bit and I took some pictures:






And what trip "Out West" would be complete without a stop to the most famous naturally formed canyon?

The Grand Canyon in Arizona was... much grander than I realized. For some reason, I had always pictured it as the canyons in Road Runner cartoons, where the whole canyon/most of the canyon can be seen at once, from above. I was not picturing something that was too large to be captured in a single photograph; a winding canyon that stretched farther than I could see in either direction.







I'm not sure if I will ever use these as inspiration for future artwork, but anything is possible! I love "collecting" photographs anyway, just in case.

I'll show the rest of the "Out West" photos in a post tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment