Friday, August 25, 2017

"Class Bouquet (Stronger Together)" - In Progress 5

This colored pencil drawing uses flower symbolism to represent the entire spectrum of social class from poverty to wealth and everything in between.

To read about capitalism and the growing disparity between the lower and upper classes, visit this blog post.

To read about the symbolism of each flower used in this bouquet, visit this blog post.

--

I've already completed six flowers - the hibiscus, bells of Ireland, hollyhock, sunflowers, French honeysuckle, and dandelions. Today's post will focus on the next six - starting with lupine.

For the purple lupine in the upper right corner, I used a white colored pencil for highlights, yellow-green and green for the stalks and leaves, light purple for the petals, and magenta and blue colored pencils for shadows.






For the group of blackthorn blossoms, I used white, yellow-green, tan, two shades of red, and black.





In the middle of the bouquet is this group of flowering cacti. I used two red pencils, pink, white, yellow, three green pencils, and black.






Off on the left side of the bouquet, I next worked on these myrtle flowers, with black, two shades of brown, red, pink, cream, yellow, white, and two green colored pencils.





The tansy flowers below the myrtle got built up with orange, yellow, white, black, and three shades of green.





Finally, I worked on this trio of marigold flowers. I used white for the highlights, dark red for the shadows, and orange and yellow for the petals. I also employed two green colored pencils for the leaves.





My drawing is now halfway complete! I now have a dozen more flowers to finish up.

No comments:

Post a Comment