Tuesday, September 26, 2017

"Ability Bouquet (Stronger Together)" - In Progress 4

This drawing uses flowers to symbolize the wide variety of different physical, emotional, and mental abilities humans might have, as a way to show how we are better and stronger together when we are willing to help each other out.

To read about "the ability umbrella" - what exactly I mean when I talk about differences in ability - please visit this blog post.

To read about the symbolism of each flower used in this bouquet drawing, visit this blog post.

**

Once my initial sketch of the composition on black paper was finished, I could back and start adding layers of color and detail, flower by flower.

I started in the upper left corner, with this bunch of pink tulip buds. I used red, two shades of pink, white, yellow, and three shades of green to color in these young flowers.





Next to the youthful tulips, I worked on the dying cluster of pink anemones. The stems are browning and the petals wilting. I used two blue pencils, two green pencils, black, brown, light tan, and two pink colored pencils on the anemones.





These browning/damaged flannel flowers came next. I used indigo blue, black, and brown to make markings on the petals for rips, tears, or deep shadows. Altogether I used black, indigo blue, dark green, light yellow-green, yellow, light tan, white, brown, and dark red.





These acanthus in the top right corner are also in the process of dying and drying out. The stems are brown or off-color yellow-green, the purple petals have taken on a darker magenta color, and the petals are drooping. I used black, dark brown, dark red, light brown, light tan, white, magenta, light purple, and yellow-green colored pencils for this flower.





Next I worked on these bright, healthy crocuses, which exude cheerfulness and springtime. I used white, orange, yellow, and dark red colored pencils for the petals, and three shades of green for the stems and leaves.





The sixth plant I worked on is this cluster of hen and chick succulents. I used dark red, two pink pencils, dark yellow, white, three green pencils, and black to shade in the colorful pink-green gradients on each petal.






The first half-dozen flowers are now complete. My next three posts will each focus on the next set of six, until the entire drawing is finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment