Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Heaven Spot Webisode: Those Who Stand By

As I mentioned in a previous post, my colored pencil drawings were recently featured in an episode of a web series produced by the group Heaven Spot, which has the goal of focusing on local under-the-radar metro-Detroit artists.

The Salon Night that they hosted at Young Fenix Loft in Detroit last month included some very entertaining and thought-provoking pieces, including a environmentally-conscious contemporary movement routine, a wonderful live guitarist and bassist duo, and a moving preview of a scene from the upcoming play For Colored Girls. I was honored to be invited to be a part of it. I brought my six "Stronger Together" colored pencil drawings to the event, displaying them on a table near the stage, and got the chance to talk to some people about the meaning behind my works after the performances.

The night ended with a viewing of Heaven Spot's second episode, "Those Who Stand By," which spliced together a few different interviews, stories, dance practices, and music performances with occasional shots of my and Mariel Collins' colored pencil drawings, which Heaven Spot filmed during the GRRRLS Like Us exhibition at the Canton Village Theater back in November 2017. If you'd like to watch the fifteen-minute video, you can find it here on Heaven Spot's website.





I was also interviewed about my drawings (though they didn't end up using any of the interview in the webisode). You can see a snippet of the interview here, on the site for the Facebook event.




It's always exciting to be invited to participate in these things, share my artwork with people, and connect with like-minded metro-Detroiters! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment