Saturday, June 23, 2018

"Flight" Colored Pencil Drawing

You can purchase this finished drawing here in my Etsy shop.

After finishing "Ambition" and "Fertility" (two 8x10" colored pencil drawings of flowers on red paper, which I wrote about on this blog here and here), I continued with my symbolic floral colored pencil series - this time creating two drawings on blue paper. I called the first of these blue drawings "Flight" - after the symbolism of the birds of paradise flower.

In this first photo, you can see my collection of Prismacolor colored pencils (separated into "warm colors" and "cool colors"), the source photograph I found on Google images of a birds of paradise flower, and my piece of blue Canson Mi-Tientes paper.




As usual, I started with a light sketch of the flower, getting the colors and shapes blocked off so I would be able to see the composition as a whole.





Once that initial layer was complete, I started adding more layers of color, as well as details and dimensionality.










Here is the final drawing:




Because this drawing is only of one single birds of paradise flower (rather than a collection of many pomegranate flowers or hollyhock, which I used for the compositions in "Fertility" and "Ambition" respectively), and because of the unique nature of this particular species, this drawing takes on a more abstract feel than my other drawings so far in this series. I could have included a whole bunch of birds of paradise, but I felt that a single flower better captured the symbolism of "flight" - by featuring only one flower, you can really see the detail of the colors, lines, and shapes, which gives it that majestic feeling of a bird about to take flight.

The other drawing I recently completed on blue paper is titled "Playfulness" - and it's the subject of the next blog post I'll write. :)

You can purchase this finished drawing here in my Etsy shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment