Friday, July 5, 2019

Rainbow Alphabet Watercolors In Progress: Q-Z

It's time to look at the last 10 letters of this 5"x7" rainbow alphabet watercolor series!

As always, I started by taping down the paintings to keep them flat while I painted.




I mixed it up this time, since the grid was 5 across, and that fifth painting was a long way from my watercolor palette on the left side of the table - instead of going alphabetically, I did "Q" and "R" and then skipped down to the second row to do "V" and "W". Then I moved my palette and water dish closer to the right side of the table to tackle "S" and "T".

You can tell which paintings I did more recently before taking this picture, because the pigments are still darkest on the most recently painted, because it's still wet. It also looks shiny when you try to take a picture of it, whereas the paintings that are drier are also matter.





I went through and did the backgrounds for all 10 letters first, before moving on to the "paint splatter" stage. Each rainbow background was made with a wet-on-wet technique, carefully but quickly painting around the pencil outlines I drew of each letter. I used six tubes of paint: red, yellow, light green, dark green, blue, and violet.





Once the rainbow backgrounds were dry enough, I started going through and adding paint splatter. I get the brush very wet with just a little pigment, and then flick the brush quickly and over a wide area to get the little paint specks everywhere. For the larger drips, I grab more pigment and more water, and then hold the brush vertically and give it a little shake, hoping a larger drop will fall in a good spot. It's not easy to control where exactly the paint splatter goes - but that's kind of the fun of it. Let the drips fall where they may!






Here are the finished paintings, still taped down. Like the other letters, I also added some thin orange and green Sharpie marker lines around certain parts of the letters, to give a bit more visual interest and dimension, as well as to clean up some of the shakier lines where some of the background seemed into the white negative space letters a bit too much.







Finally, here are the last ten letters untaped from the table.




After all 26 of these paintings were completed, I brought them upstairs, signed each one, and photographed them as a group (which is the subject of my next post!). My end goal is to scan these and turn them into notecards (like I did with my floral alphabet series). Look for these as notecards in my Etsy shop soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment