Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Interior Design - Nursery

My last several blog posts have been all about how I created the artwork that ended up on my nursery walls - three little woodland animal watercolors (two owls and a fox), and two quotation paintings with a yellow patterned background. I already teased how the artwork looks in the room a bit in those earlier posts, but today I'd like to show how the artwork fits within the whole finished room, including all the nursery furniture.

When you first walk into the room, this is your view - crib on the left (complete with a Harry Potter owl mobile I had custom made on Etsy and fox-themed crib sheets), rocking chair on the right (complete with yellow patterned cushion I also had custom made on Etsy), and a wooden dresser/changing table combo on the far wall. The two quotation paintings are hanging on the same wall as the changing table, up in the top two stripes of the ombre painted walls:






Pivoting to the right, you can see the side table next to the rocking chair, the curtains (which match the yellow patterned rocking chair cushion), a yellow storage ottoman/seat, a wooden bookcase, and the three woodland animals I painted, hung diagonally. (In the months and days before our baby was born, our dog Ginny spent a lot of time sleeping on the rug in the nursery while I was in there organizing everything.)




I'm pretty excited about our custom closet (which we got from the Container Store and installed ourselves), so permit me a couple photos to show it off too. :) On the top shelf, I bought colorful storage boxes from Bed, Bath, and Beyond to house all the larger sizes of clothes our baby wouldn't need right away. There's plenty of space to store extra diapers and wipes on the left side of the closet. In the center are drawers I organized for everyday clothing essentials - shirts, pants, onesies, sleepwear and swaddling blankets, and accessories like hats and socks. There are also several shelves and short clothes hanging areas that aren't being utilized yet (room to grow as our baby starts having bigger clothes, and more of them!).






Of course, these photos were all taken before our baby's arrival, when everything was still well-organized. We've accumulated a lot more stuff since then (more clothes, toys, etc.) so those closet shelves are starting to look a little more full! We've also made some small tweaks to how some things were organized, as we learned what worked best for us in taking care of our baby. But in general, I think we did a great job getting everything we needed and getting it pretty ready and organized ahead of time. :)

And I have to say, even with all the time I've spent in this room over the last few months, I still love the yellow walls with their ombre stripes, the watercolor paintings I created, the wooden nursery furniture I picked out, the custom (and oh so comfortable) rocking chair cushion (which sits on the rocking chair my grandmother used to rock her four children, including my mom, when they were kids), and the little fox and owl accents throughout (the crib sheets, the mobile, the toys, the toy storage bins, the owl table lamp, etc.). It's such a cheerful, beautiful room, and I love spending time in here, taking care of my baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment