Saturday, January 9, 2016

Fire and Ice Roses

Way back in college, before I started my thesis, I first explored my idea of merging pattern and floral imagery in this painting from 2009. I had just gotten some metallic Daniel Smith watercolors, and I wanted to try them out. The result was this large, brightly-colored watercolor painting, which is a full sheet in size (22"x30"). The metallic paints were often not diluted much or mixed with non-metallic colors, so it's a very shiny piece (which you can see in some of the detail photographs).

I titled it "Fire and Ice Roses" because of the color palette I chose - fiery orange-reds paired with cool icy blues. There's a much greater emphasis on a primary color triad (red, yellow, and blue) than I usually use (I generally prefer the secondary triad of purple, green, and orange) because the metallic paints I got were red, gold, and blue metallic.

This painting is for sale through my Etsy shop.








No comments:

Post a Comment