Thursday, November 3, 2016

"30 Days" - Rose #13

The first two rows of my "30 Days" colored pencil drawing are complete. This large-scale drawing is 22"x30" in size, and will feature 30 total roses (each rose representing a consecutive day in a woman's life). The roses are arranged in a 5x6 grid, with five roses of six roses each.

Which means rose #13 starts the middle row of the drawing - row number three.

First, I drew in pencil all six roses in the row, to use as a guideline later as I went through and colored them in.






Then I started on rose #13 on the far left side. For this one, I decided to start with a medium reddish brown, since I knew I wanted the edges and some of the shadows to retain some brownish coloring.




Then I started adding in highlights with a light tan/off-white colored pencil.




I blended some yellow-orange lightly into the middles of the petals, between the brown/black paper shadows and light edges.




Then I started adding in some details and depth, still using just those three colors.




To darken some of the shadows and deepen the colors, I added two more pencils into the mix - light peach and a darker brownish red.





And that's it! This rose doesn't have water droplets or much color mixing. I really wanted it to remain neutral, especially with all the colorful purpleish rose directly above it. So I used only those five colored pencils, and I kept the focus on light tan/brown, with only hints of red, yellow, or peach.




No comments:

Post a Comment