Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Novel Update

Last month, I (again) finished going through and editing my novel (or rather, the first book in an intended series of novels). That means my goals for the month of November include doing research on literary agents, sending out query letters, and starting to go through and edit my draft of book #2 in the same way I just went through and worked on book #1.

Of course, November is NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month), and with all the editing I've been doing lately I feel like I haven't done a lot of actual "writing." But there are definitely some things I want to add in to book #2, now that I know what changes made book #1 so much better - and some of those changes will feel more like "writing" than "editing." Plus, just working on book #2 instead of book #1 will be enough of a change of pace to keep me excited about this project.

It's not that I don't like editing. It's a certain kind of excitement to watch something you were already proud of get even better - and thus more proud-making. It's just that sometimes editing feels a little stagnant, and it can be hard to notice the "hey this is actually worth it" changes until you step back and look at it from a bit more distance.

So for this year's NaNoWriMo, I'll probably be doing more editing than writing. But what is editing other than "rewriting"? And shouldn't rewriting also count?

No comments:

Post a Comment