Sunday, November 13, 2016

"30 Days" - Rose #16

I usually write blog posts ahead of time and schedule them in advance. I already had blog posts with photos of autumn leaves scheduled for earlier this week, and those automatically went live, as all of my scheduled posts do. Then, the election happened.

I was not expecting to want to write a blog post about the election - before or after the results came in. Of course, I was also not expecting Trump to win the presidency. As it turned out, once the results were in and I had had a couple of days to process my thoughts, I did want to write a blog post.

The post that went live on Thursday was that post. I wrote it Wednesday and Thursday, and then posted it immediately instead of scheduling it for later. I still have thoughts about the election and its aftermath, and I may write more about it later. But I wanted to get that first post out there while it was still fresh in my mind.

Until I have the time to write other long posts, I'll be reverting back to what this blog most often is - a chronicle of my current artwork in progress.

And so, in what is hopefully not too jarring of a transition... Back to looking at my large 22"x30" colored pencil drawing, "30 Days," which features thirty roses.

-

For rose #16 I started with the bumblebee on its petals. I used three colors for the little bee, preserving some of the black paper for the black parts of the insect.




I then started coloring in the petals of the rose. This one is going to be leopard print!




Just kidding. I left those spots black so I could come back in and add white to make them water droplets.





I added a lot of orange, because I really wanted the orange to still be visible for this rose, even after I added lighter layers on top of it.




Then I lightened things up considerably with a light tan colored pencil, and blended some orange and pink in to give it an interesting color.





I added detail to the water droplets on top, then even more highlights to the petals as well.





Voila! The finished rose.





Tomorrow I will post photos of rose #17.

No comments:

Post a Comment