Wednesday, February 15, 2017

"28 Years" - Year #11

For general information about this 22"x30" colored pencil drawing, see this blog post.
For more information about the flower symbolism I used (Years 1-14) and life events that led me to select those particular flowers, see this blog post.

--

I decided to symbolize my 11th year with horseshoe geranium and laurel.
  • Horseshoe Geranium: symbol of folly and stupidity
  • Laurel: symbol of success, ambition, triumph, and royal status
First I drew outlines of the plants on black paper:




I used these two botanical drawings as reference while I worked on this piece (I do not own either of these; I found them on Google):




I sketched in with several colors how the drawing would look, making sure to emphasize things that were important to this drawing, such as the "horseshoe" markings on the geranium leaves, and where the highlights on the flowers would go.





Then I went through and added details and more colors, starting with the geranium petals and then the geranium leaves, and finally the little white-pink laurel flowers.









Here is the entire drawing so far. 11 "mini-drawings" done; 17 to go!



No comments:

Post a Comment