Tuesday, February 7, 2017

"28 Years" - Year #8

For general information about this 22"x30" colored pencil drawing, see this blog post.
For more information about the flower symbolism I used (Years 1-14) and life events that led me to select those particular flowers, see this blog post.

--

My 8th year starts the second row of my drawing. I used orange/peach orchids and cypress to symbolize the year.
  • Orange Orchidsymbol of industry, enthusiasm, boldness, and pride
  • Cypresssymbol of death, mourning, despair, and sorrow
First I drew outlines of the flowers on black paper:




Here are the two botanical drawings I used as source material while I drew (I do not own either of these images; I found them on Google):




I started by lightly coloring in the stem and seeds of the cypress, as well as the orchid petals, in yellow. Then I drew in the darker orchid leaves, and the branches of the cypress in two different shades of green.






Once the drawing was sketched in, I went back to add detail. I started with the cypress branch, and then colored in the orchids with several shades of pink/peach, and orange, with highlights in pale yellow and the petal's stripes and markings in dark red/purple.







Here is the total drawing so far - the completed first row, and the first "mini drawing" of row #2.






No comments:

Post a Comment