Wednesday, February 8, 2017

"28 Years" - Year #9

For general information about this 22"x30" colored pencil drawing, see this blog post.
For more information about the flower symbolism I used (Years 1-14) and life events that led me to select those particular flowers, see this blog post.

--

To depict my 9th year, I used symbols of crocus and yellow hyacinth.
  • Crocus: symbol of youthful gladness, cheerfulness, and glee
  • Yellow Hyacinth: symbol of jealousy
First I drew outlines of the flowers on black paper:



Here are the two botanical illustrations I looked at while I drew (I do not own either of these images; I found them on Google):




On my paper, I sketched in the purple crocus, then the yellow hyacinth behind it.






Then I deepened the color with more layers of colored pencil, and added in details like brighter highlights and red centers. Love how the yellow hyacinth looks against the purple crocus (complimentary colors)!







Here's the drawing so far - 9 down, 19 years to go!



No comments:

Post a Comment