Thursday, February 23, 2017

"28 Years" - Year #14

For general information about this 22"x30" colored pencil drawing, see this blog post.
For more information about the flower symbolism I used (Years 1-14) and life events that led me to select those particular flowers, see this blog post.

--

For my 14th year, the final "mini-drawing" in the second (out of four) rows, I decided on chamomile and chrysanthemum.
  • Chamomile: symbol of patience, wealth, and healthfulness
  • Chrysanthemum: symbol of cheerfulness, lasting friendship, support from friends and family, rest and recovery after a challenge, enduring life and rebirth, and loyalty and devotion
As always, I first drew outlines of the plants on black paper:






These are the two botanical drawings I used for reference while I drew (I do not own these images; I found them on Google):



I sketched in the chamomile flowers and stems, and then the large chrysanthemum (a flower, by the way, that I never, ever spell correctly on the first try).







Once the sketch was complete, I added more color and detail, starting with the chamomile flowers.





Then I tackled the chrysanthemum, where I used pink, orange, yellow, red, and white.







I am finally at the halfway point with this large drawing! I have broken up this 22"x30" piece of black paper into four rows of seven "mini-drawings" each, and now the first two rows are complete! 14 more "years" to go!



No comments:

Post a Comment