Tuesday, February 28, 2017

"28 Years" - Year #16

For general information about this 22"x30" colored pencil drawing, see this blog post.
For more information about the flower symbolism I used (Years 15-28) and life events that led me to select those particular flowers, see this blog post.

--

For my 16th year, I looked to marigold and hollyhock as my symbolic flowers.
  • Marigold: symbol of pain, grief, cruelty, jealousy, beauty, warmth of the rising sun, creativity, and a drive to succeed
  • Hollyhock: symbol of ambition, abundance, and fertility
I first drew outlines of the plants on black paper:




I looked at these two botanical drawings while I worked (I do not own these images; I found them on Google):





I lightly filled in the graphite outlines with colored pencil, then erased the graphite.








Then I started adding layers of bright colors to the marigold flowers and leaves.






Next, I colored in the hollyhock, starting with the leaves and stem, and then the flowers.





Here are the first 16 "mini-drawings." Only 12 more to go until this large drawing is complete!



No comments:

Post a Comment