Thursday, February 16, 2017

"28 Years" - Year #12

For general information about this 22"x30" colored pencil drawing, see this blog post.
For more information about the flower symbolism I used (Years 1-14) and life events that led me to select those particular flowers, see this blog post.

--

For my 12th year, I drew azalea and coriander.
  • Coriander: symbol of hidden worth/concealed merit and lust
  • Azalea: symbol of womanhood, fragility, gratitude, passion, femininity, and softness
As always, I first drew outlines of the plants on black paper:






I used these two botanical drawings as reference while I worked (I do not own either of these; I found them on Google):




I sketched in lightly the colors of the azalea and coriander plants.





Then I started going back and adding more color and more detail. I started with the oregano leaves - the part of the oregano plant most are most familiar with. Then I did the leaves for the azalea in a darker/bluer green.





I next added color and detail to the flowers - the little oregano petals, and the bold azalea flowers, with their distinct markings.







Here is the drawing so far, with 12 years complete. 16 more to go!




No comments:

Post a Comment