Sunday, July 16, 2017

"Religion Bouquet (Stronger Together)" - In Progress 2

To read about religious discrimination and why tolerance of people of all religions (and non-religions) is so important, visit this blog post.

To read about the religious symbolism of the 24 flowers used in this drawing, go back to this blog post.

-

In my last post, I showed the composition plan I developed for the next 19"x25" colored pencil drawing in my "Stronger Together" series. Now that the newsprint sketch is complete, I can move on to sketching out the placement and general colors of each flower onto the black paper. Then, once the entire drawing is lightly drawn in, I'll go back through and add more layers of color and detail, to really help each flower pop against the black paper.

Today's blog post will show how I sketched in the first dozen flowers onto the black paper.

In the last three drawings I did in this series, I started either at the top of the bouquet, or in the center, and then worked by way outward from there - but because I was getting concerned that the last few flowers at the bottom of the bouquet were getting a little squashed (as I ran out of room to fit them and a vase at the bottom of the drawing) in the other drawings, I decided to switch it up this time and start at the bottom first.

I drew a graphite outline of the four flowers at the bottom, as well as the vase. Then, I colored them in and erased the outline.




Red zinnia:




Yellow daffodil:




Purple sage:





And red roses:





Next, I drew in a purple lotus, centered above the daffodils and sage:





Above that, a bunch of birds of paradise flowers:





To the left of those, I added a white lily:




And to the right of the birds of paradise, a stalk of yellow gladiolus:




Rising up on either side of the birds of paradise flowers are a purple group of morning glories and a stalk of purple and white acanthus:






Filling out the middle is a large pomegranate flower, with two budding pomegranate fruits.




And to the upper-left of that is a trio of yellow black-eyed susans.





Those are the first twelve flowers. There are still some more to add to the top of this bouquet, as well as several on both the left and right sides to fill it out. Check back soon for more "in progress" photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment