Sunday, November 12, 2017

"Shame" - 8"x10" Colored Pencil Drawing

I have one more 8x10 colored pencil drawing which is now on display as part of the GRRRLS Like Us exhibition at the Village Theater in Canton, MI - a drawing which I am only now getting around to posting here on my blog, but which I actually completed back in October. It's titled "Shame" because it's a drawing of pink peonies, and one of the things peonies symbolize is shame.

I drew this with Prismacolor pencils on Strathmore brand toned tan paper.

In this first picture, you can see the reference photo I found on Google and used to inspire my drawing.




I started with lightly drawing the peonies in place using six different colored pencils.






Then I gradually went through and added up more layers of color, darkening the shadows and giving the flowers dimensionality.








Here is the completed drawing:





I ended up using 15 different colored pencils: black, dark brown, dark green, light green, yellow, white, light peach, three shades of pink, two shades of purple/process red, and three shades of red.






Here are some close-up shots of the finished, matted drawing:







It is for sale at the Canton Village Theater until December 3. After that, if it's still available, it will be listed on Etsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment