Monday, March 11, 2019

All 26 Floral Alphabet Watercolors

Creating this set of watercolors was a lot of fun. First, I designed them all and traced them onto watercolor paper - but once that part was done, they were quick and relatively easy (especially once I got my preferred procedure down pat). I could just tape down the ones I wanted to finished, do a couple of quick watercolor layers across them all, wait an hour or two for those initial layers to dry, and then go back through with the second pass, darkening the blue-violet backgrounds and adding more layers of color to the pink, yellow, blue, and green floral parts. It was a great way to feel some instant gratification - if I felt rather unaccomplished that week, all I had to do was sit down for two short bursts of creative expression, and then end up with several small, completed watercolor paintings.

My plan all along was to scan these paintings into my computer and print them on blank notecards, one letter per card, so that someone could purchase a set of cards with their initial on them. My next blog post will be all about those notecard sets, but because I was so happy with the way these paintings turned out, I wanted to do one more post about the paintings themselves first.

Here are all 26 completed paintings, from A to Z. It was difficult to get a photograph of all 26 at once (they barely fit on my table at all, and certainly not without covering many of the details underneath other paintings), but I did my best. :) Which one is your favorite letter?












No comments:

Post a Comment