Monday, October 21, 2019

"Immortality" Colored Pencil Drawing

This colored pencil drawing was created with Prismacolor brand pencils on Canson Mi-Teintes blue paper. I just love the texture the Canson Mi-Teintes paper has, and how it makes colored pencil drawings look!

The flowers in this drawing are acanthus flowers, which symbolize (among other things) immortality. These flowers were popular in Ancient Greece, with the leaves/tops of the acanthus stalks acting as the basis for the design of the Corinthian style architectural column.

For this drawing, I started (as I often do) with a light sketch. Using a picture of acanthus I found on Google as a source material, I used basic shapes of light color to place the acanthus stalks where I wanted them to be in my composition.







Once all the stalks were lightly sketched in, I started going through and one by one adding in more detail and dimension.

By the end, I used 8 different colors of pencils: white, light pink, magenta, dark purple, black, light green, dark green, and light blue. The flower petals themselves were made mostly with white, light pink, and light blue (with pink and blue shading in the shadowed parts), with some details added in with lines of darker purple. The stalks were light green, dark green, and black. And the leaves were a blend of both greens, all 3 pinks/purples, and the occasional white on the very tips.










Here is the finished drawing, which I signed and dated at the bottom:








Look for this drawing for sale in my Etsy store soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment