Sunday, October 27, 2019

"Whimsy" Colored Pencil Drawing

Side note: My phone camera started to die a little when I was working on this drawing, so some of the photos aren't the best. It started by having some problems focusing, and within a couple days was completely malfunctioning. Trying to use the camera would eventually freeze my camera app, and trying to look at the pictures I'd taken in my gallery app would freeze the gallery app. This eventually caused a complete phone failure, and I had to reboot my phone... I started taking photos with my husband's phone camera instead for a few weeks, until I had time to get a new cell phone. I only use my phone for calls/texts, social media, and taking pictures, so when one of those 3 categories no longer works... It's time for a replacement. (To be fair, the phone was 2.5 years old, so I wasn't entirely surprised.)

But anyway - here are some photos of the last drawing I completed before my phone camera complete crapped out on me: "Whimsy," a colored pencil drawing on 8"x10" blue paper. I used Prismacolor colored pencils and Canson Mi-Teintes colored paper, and looked at a source photo of purple carnations as inspiration while I drew. (Purple carnations symbolize "whimsy"!)

I started with a line outline of where I wanted the flowers to be, and then lightly sketched in some details of the petals and leaves:





Then I went through the flowers one by one and added more depth and detail. To get the texture of the carnations, I used a lot of short pencil strokes so that the edges of the petals would look less like a smooth rose and more like that ripple/wrinkled effect carnations often have.









For the flowers, I used a light peach for the highlights, black and dark purple for the shadows, and magenta and two other shades of purple for the mid-tones.

Once the flowers were complete, I added dimension to the leaves and stems with two shades of green, plus black for the darkest areas.

Here is the finished drawing:










Look for this drawing for sale in my Etsy store soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment