Monday, December 16, 2019

"Vitality" Colored Pencil Drawing

Like my previous blog post, this piece of artwork is also an 8"x10" colored pencil drawing on red paper. I used Canson Mi-Teintes paper, and Prismacolor pencils. The flowers in this drawing are zinnia, and the drawing is titled "Vitality," after what zinnia symbolize.

In this first picture, you can see the images I printed off the internet to use as source photos, as well as the blank red paper ready to go.




I started by lightly sketching in the highlights of the zinnia petals. (Because the paper I was drawing on was red, I would mostly be focusing on the highlights and shadows, and letting the red paper work as the mid-tones.) After those were in place, I lightly sketched in some green leaves in the background, as well.





Then I went through petal by petal and added dimension. I used cream and yellow to get a nice, bright highlight, and used black, brown, and dark purple colored pencils for shadows. When needed, I used a red colored pencil (which was almost exactly the same color as the paper) to blend everything together.








I added some leaves in the background (not adding too much detail there, since the zinnia was the focal point), and then another tiny zinnia in the corner.





Here's the finished drawing:








No comments:

Post a Comment