Thursday, October 29, 2015

Delphi Watercolor

Yesterday I showed you some of my favorite photographs taken in Delphi, Greece, at the Temple of Apollo. Today, I have some images of a large (22"x30"!) watercolor painting that I created in 2009, shortly after returning from that Study Abroad trip.

Here is the source photograph:



Here is the painting:





This painting combines watercolor, acrylic (just a bit of white acrylic in the mountainous background), and white marker-pen, which spells out a poem on the left side.

The story behind the poem is this -

On this study abroad trip, I contracted an eye infection. At this time, I was so used to wearing contact lenses that I didn't even think to bring my eyeglasses as backup - just extra contacts. So when I got an eye infection in Rome and couldn't wear my contacts for a few days while it healed (and then a few more days, once my other eye also got infected), I was basically blind. I would take photographs just so I could see the landscape up close (on my camera screen) where I could see the image. I traveled through Naples, Italy this way, as well as Olympia and Napflion in Greece, and a few days on the island of Crete. When we got back to the mainland, my eyes were finally healed enough to wear my contacts again. Delphi was the first stop I was able to clearly see in several days.

I thought it was fitting that my eyesight should "return" to full strength on the very day that our itinerary had us in Delphi, the very place where ancient oracles were said to divinely See the future.

The response on Instagram has been great! It's gotten lots of positive comments.






This painting is available for purchase on Etsy - and comes included with a mat AND frame. The frame is black metal (custom made to the size of the matted painting), with a plexiglass front. It is ready to hang!


No comments:

Post a Comment