Thursday, October 1, 2015

Hydrangea Photos

When I'm in a garden, or my own backyard, or I've just received a bouquet of flowers, or I find myself within the vicinity of a floral display and a camera (whether that's my phone or something fancier), I take photos. Often lots of photos.





I take photos of the same plant from 10 different angles. If it's a bouquet or potted plant (and thus portable), I carry it around my house to different rooms with different lighting, and photograph them everywhere. If it's at my house and I can see the plant over the course of different days, I photograph them a little bit each day, at different times of day, at different stages of the plant's growth. I take close-up photos and ones from far away






I use these photos for myriad types of artwork, from watercolor or acrylic paintings to colored pencil drawings, from highly saturated works to black-and-white or muted color pieces. I don't know what exactly I might use a photo for at the time that I take it, so I take several varieties, so I have a bunch of options to work with.






The result is that I end up with tons of photographs, many of which I'll never use. For example - my husband brought me home a small pot of hydrangeas about a week ago, and in that week I've taken 61 pictures of them, all on my phone. I see them every day - they're on the desk right next to me as I type this - and when I think of it, when I think "it's been several hours since I took a photo of them," I'll go ahead and take more. I don't know what I'll use them for in the future, but now I have them in my "stock" of photos, so that if I do need an image of a hydrangea, I have one.






Especially with creating art, I want to be careful to always use my own source photography. If I use someone else's photograph, it's a lot harder to say that the resulting artwork is completely mine - and a lot easier to get in trouble for inadvertently violating someone else's creative copyright.




No comments:

Post a Comment