Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Flowering Herb

This is a 5"x7" colored pencil drawing I created in April of last year. It is for sale through my Etsy shop for $39 and comes with a 8"x10" arctic white Crescent mat suitable for framing.

"Flowering Herb" - 5"x7" Colored Pencil Drawing
Andrea Arbit

"Flowering Herb" - 5"x7" Colored Pencil Drawing
Andrea Arbit


I called this "Flowering Herb"... because I didn't know what plant it actually was. Was it lavender? Lilac? I can never tell the difference. I feel like a tool admitting it, but in the interest of full disclosure, I will - I know almost nothing about plants. My interest comes purely from the aesthetic side. I've never studied botany or gardening - I just walk through life and take pictures of the beautiful plants I see, and use those photos to create drawings and paintings. 

I do try to figure out what plants they are. I have a few apps on my phone that analyze pictures and make a "best guess" of what plant it is, and I've been known to bother the people in my life (or "experts" on the internet) who do know a thing or two about gardening for their opinions. But sometimes even with crowdsourcing, I still come up short with a definite answer.

Here are some detail shots -

"Flowering Herb" - 5"x7" Colored Pencil Drawing (detail)
Andrea Arbit

"Flowering Herb" - 5"x7" Colored Pencil Drawing (detail)
Andrea Arbit


I just love the way the purple and green look together on the black paper! They really jump out. :)





2 comments:

  1. I like to photograph flowers "in the dark," to get a similar effect -- colorful flowers on a black background. It really makes the color "pop!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's why I love using black paper. Instant lighting contrast and drama! :)

    ReplyDelete