Sunday, October 4, 2015

Pattern Scarlett in Blue, Green & Purple

I promised more pictures of Pattern Scarlett (the blue, green and purple painting I teased in yesterday's post), and today I'm delivering.

I took a lot of photos of Pattern Scarlett while it was "in progress," so there's plenty to look at below -


"Pattern Scarlett in Blue, Green & Purple" - 8x10 Watercolor Painting in 11x14 Mat
Andrea Arbit


Purchase this painting through my Etsy shop here!

I know it seems weird to call this painting "Pattern Scarlett," when there's no red in the color palette anywhere. But I give all my patterns human names, so that it's easier for me to distinguish between them (I have over 200 of them to keep track of!), and this one happens to be named Scarlett.

I didn't know it was named Scarlett when I chose to paint it blue, green, and purple. I could have flipped it over and seen where I'd written on the back "Pattern Scarlett," but I didn't do that until after it was finished. I traced a bunch of these patterns onto paper over the summer (it's easier in the summer, when the sun is brighter and therefore it's easier to trace designs just by holding the paper up to the window), and I'm only now getting around to actually painting them.

Here are some photos I took of the painting in progress:








As you can see, I trace the pattern with pencil first, and then it's just a matter of "paint by number" almost, filling in the shapes between the pencil lines with my tiny watercolor brush.

And, as is also evident from these pics, my preferred brand of watercolor paint is Daniel Smith. They can be expensive, but the rich color you can achieve is so worth it.

Here are some detail shots of the finished product:








I held this painting up against my pretty jade dining room wall to see how it would look in a green room:




Finally, here are those pictures pairing Pattern Scarlett with Pattern Matilda again. Even though they have different color schemes, their similar size, matching mats, and the aesthetic of a white pattern with colorful background tie them together.






You may realize that I show these paintings displayed both horizontally and vertically. They're intending to be hung any way you choose. There is no "official" top or bottom. In fact, I purposefully do not sign the fronts of my patterned watercolor paintings (of every size), to help facilitate them being hung in any direction. (Only the backs are signed.)

I love painting these. It gives me a great vehicle to display the work that went into designing the digital patterns, and lets me play with fun, saturated color schemes.

These paintings are only $59 a piece on my Etsy site. (My 4"x6" pattern paintings go for $29/each, and my 5"x7" pattern paintings go for $39/each.)

No comments:

Post a Comment