Monday, October 23, 2017

"Endurance" - 8x10 Colored Pencil Drawing

Another 8"x10" colored pencil drawing I completed recently is "Endurance." I gave it this name because it depicts a wide variety of succulent plants, all of which can endure and survive even in typically unforgiving climates.

I used Prismacolor brand pencils and Strathmore black paper for this drawing, as well, and used a picture from Google as inspiration.

First, I drew outlines with graphite pencil to mark where each succulent would go.





Then I lightly colored in the succulents to decide which colors should go where.





Once that first layer was done (and the graphite lines erased), I started going through one by one and building up layers of color. Here's the first pink succulent:




Followed closely by a purplish-blue succulent:




And a light blue succulent:




I continued to work my way through the green and blue-green succulents, filling up the space.









I'm at about the halfway point here, finishing up the succulents at the top before tackling the ones on the bottom.





These are the succulents in the bottom right corner of the drawing:




Nearly done!






Here is the finished drawing. The source photo I worked from is on the top, my drawing on black paper on the bottom. I used 21 colored pencils.






This drawing will also be for sale at my upcoming exhibition in Canton, Michigan. (More information on that exhibition coming soon!)

No comments:

Post a Comment