Monday, December 14, 2015

California Dreaming

I love being in Michigan for the holidays (though even in Michigan we don't get a "white Christmas" every year like we used to), but on days when the wind starts getting a bit too cold, I do find myself imagining warmer weather.

Here are some photographs I took when I was on the west coast in the summer of 2012. It was a year after we got married, and my husband and I joined a few mutual friends for a very speedy road trip (1.5 weeks total) south to Oklahoma, west all the way to the Pacific (stopping along the way at the Grand Canyon and Zion National Park), and back home again (hitting up Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Colorado, Mount Rushmore, and the Mall of America, and then taking a very roundabout way home to southeast Michigan by heading up through the U.P., crossing the Mackinac Bridge, and visiting Traverse City and the Sleeping Bear Dunes).

All of these photos are from beaches in the Los Angeles area.

-

Santa Monica Beach:







Super crowded and not really my kind of scene, but the colors of the amusement rides were gorgeous and fun, and the California sun made for great lighting for photos.

-

Venice Beach:







Even less my scene (I've never tried to skateboard or smoke pot in my life), but again, I couldn't help but appreciate the vibrancy of the graffiti and the gorgeous late-evening sunshine making its silhouettes on the beach.

-

A beautiful sunset on a beach in Malibu, CA:







Definitely my favorite "beach" we visited, this strip of sand was just off the road and nearly deserted (there were only two or three other people who came down to enjoy the sunset, parking their cars on the side of the road like we had and descending down into the sand). It was quiet, the sand was warm, and the sunset was (as you can see in the photos), a tranquil rose color. Plus, there were pretty flowers!

No comments:

Post a Comment