Monday, October 3, 2016

"30 Days" - Rose #3

Each rose of this "30 Days" colored pencil drawing represents one consecutive day in a 30-day span of time. This doesn't mean that I drew one rose per day - though really, each rose only takes me about 2 hours (at most) to do, so I could do one per day. But more often, I draw one every day for a few days, and then I take a few days rest - to work on another art project, to work on editing and writing my novels, or just to sit around being lazy for a day or two. (Hey, I'm allowed.)

This is rose #3, depicting day #3.

1. Because I wanted this rose to have water droplets on its outer petals, I first marked where I wanted those to go:





2. Then, I started coloring in the petals, starting with the lightest parts first and leaving the darkest parts dark (preserving the black paper):





3. I slowly built up layers of color, including some purples, medium and dark reds, light peach, and light and medium blue hints at the water droplets:





4. Finally, I added green to the rose's background:




Here are the first three roses so far:


27 more roses to go! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment