Monday, October 17, 2016

"30 Days" - Rose #8

Here are the photos for my step-by-step process of creating rose #8 in my large 22"x30" colored pencil drawing "30 Days." Rose #8 is the second rose from the left in the second row from the top.

I started by coloring in the bee that was hanging around the outer petals of this rose. You can see how small it is next to the colored pencils - just a few strokes of colored pencil, and it was already filled in!






Once the bee was in place, I started coloring in the rose itself. I drew light colored spots where the water droplets would go, traced the edges of the petals in a light yellow, and then started filling in the petals with light pink.




I traced the edges of the petals I wanted to highlight with a light colored pencil before I got too far in. It's important to preserve the darkest areas (since the paper is black and the darkest areas will have no pigment added at al), but it's also important to mark where the lightest areas are sooner rather than later, so that you can keep adding more layers on top of it, to make it more vibrant and create greater contrast against the black paper.





Then I started going back in and adding some orange into the pink, and alternating layers of orange and pink until I got the color I wanted.





Finally, I added more yellow to the lighter highlights, because I decided I didn't want them so white looking. The yellow blends in nicely with the pink/orange hue used in the shadows of the petals.






No comments:

Post a Comment