Friday, December 23, 2016

"30 Days" - Rose #28

Rose #28 is the third-to-last rose in my "30 Days" colored pencil piece.

I started, as usual, with an outline of where the rose would go. Then, a put down a first layer of blue colored pencil, since I wanted this final rose to be cooler in tone than the previous one, with a lot of blues and purples blended in.






This rose is actually two - a main rose, and another little rose hiding behind it! I colored both in the same way. After I put down the blue, I added some dark purple into the shadows, and then a lighter purple into the areas I wanted to highlight and bring forward in 3D space.






Then I added in a yellowish-tan pencil, especially along the edges, to give it a sort of browning/dryer look, and to neutralize the blues/purples a bit.




Then it was just a matter of creating more contrast - darkening the shadows with a darker reddish brown, and highlighting the petals where the light hits even more with another layer of light purple.




To finish, I added leaves and greenery into the background of this rose and the previous one (#27).






No comments:

Post a Comment