Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Turning 28

This year has been a busy one! I started working mornings as a graphic designer for Temple Israel in West Bloomfield in March, and in between those scheduled work hours I tried to find time to work on other projects as well - several paintings and drawings, writing and editing my novel(s), and writing posts for this blog. I even got my artwork shown in a couple exhibitions in the summer, and I'm already working on getting some new things done for a future exhibition in 2017.

As far as productivity (and the corresponding self-image) goes, I'd say this year was pretty great. In fact, the only things that weren't great were a couple things related to my physical health - my "elevated fasting glucose" and, recently, my TMJ problems. These are not things that started when I was 27, but they are things that worsened and/or I was made more aware of in the last year. Still, I feel like they are pretty minor complaints (so far), and I am doing everything I can to try to alleviate them - I am not ignoring them, but making sure that I stay proactive in being aware of them and working towards managing the symptoms as best I can.

I feel like I have continued to make strides for myself in self-care this year, managing my mental and physical health. (See my previous post regarding "grieving losses.") I also feel like I am generally pretty content with my life as it is right now, and that I am "in a good place" in a lot of areas (artistically, mentally, emotionally, professionally).

Today I turn 28 years old. My goals for this year are more or less to just keep on doing what I've been doing - to keep pushing myself with art projects, to keep working on my novel(s) and sending out query letters to find a literary agent, to keep up with my journaling and self-reflection and seeing what I can do to take care of myself. There are always going to be some things I can't control (like blood sugar or TMJ flare-ups), but there is a great amount that I can control - including my attitude about the things I can't.

I won't pretend that there aren't things about the current political climate that concern me, or things that I would like to see improve - in the world at large, or in the lives of people close to me. And there is probably more I could do, personally, to try to improve these things. Maybe that should be one of my goals for this coming year as well - to find a way to help others while still maintaining my current level of self-care.

I wish I had more time to do all of the things I want to do (more time to write, make art, read, journal), but I'd much rather have too many things I want to do and not enough time to do them all than too much time on my hands and nothing to fill the hours with. If that's the kind of life I'm living - a life that seems like it's going by too quickly, a life that I've filled up with people and projects that mean a lot to me - I'm okay with that.

Here's to 28 being just as good (or better!) than 27!

No comments:

Post a Comment