Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Compliment Collections

One thing I have been trying to do lately is file away "compliments" or other things that make me happy, as I go through my day. If I'm in a bad mood or having a bad day for some reason, it's nice to have a wealth of things to look through to remind myself what I am capable of - but it feels like a chore to go searching around trying to find those memories. Instead of waiting for a bad day and then trying to find motivation to figure out how to cheer myself up, now I've done the "grunt work" ahead of time - by doing a little bit every day.

For instance, if I get a nice email at work (my boss is appreciative of the work I've done recently, or a client is excited about a new design), I take a screenshot of that email and put it in a special folder on my computer desktop. Or if I get a nice comment on a Facebook post or a blog post, or a thoughtful response sent via personal message or email, I'll take a screenshot of those, too. Even if it's not something that I wrote myself - just something I retweeted or reposted - if it spurs thoughtful conversation, I make a note of it.

Other things are comments that are said to me in person. When a friend notices a piece of art I created hanging on the wall of my house and compliments it, or when I'm having a conversation with someone and they appreciate what I've said - when I next have the opportunity, I'll quickly jot down what I remember (paraphrasing, usually). It doesn't have to be perfect. It just has to be enough to remind you in the future what you were feeling in that moment - i.e. "Someone told me they liked my painting." Maybe it's not even a specific comment you remember, but just a general sense of accomplishment. "15 people came by the spring art show and stopped to look at my artwork." "I'm really proud of the colored pencil drawing I finished today." "I sent out three query letters to literary agents, because I really believe in the novel I'm writing."

I might also include just general things that make me happy. A quote I really liked from a book I'm reading. A meme I saw online that made me laugh.

And I collect all these compliments and positive comments and "good feelings" and put them in a digital folder on my desktop, or print things out to tape to the wall in my home office, or email them to myself with a label that I can easily search for and find later.

Then, next time I need that reminder, I'll know where to find a bunch of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment