Wednesday, December 28, 2016

"30 Days" - Rose #30

I have been working on this "30 Days" colored pencil drawing for a lot longer than 30 days! (It's actually been about four months.) Each rose doesn't take that long - maybe an hour - to draw. But pesky life kept getting in the way of me devoting too much time to it at any given time, so I had to sneak in an hour here and an hour there...

I also definitely got a little sick of drawing roses sometimes, and took a break for a week or so before going back to it. I have been working on smaller colored pencil drawings before this large one, and wasn't used to things "taking so long" to come together.

But finally I made it! This is rose #30, the last one, in the bottom right-hand corner of the 22"x30" drawing.

I started by lightly drawing in the rose with a yellow-brown pencil. I used this same pencil to mark where the rose's thorns would be in the background, and then used a blue and green pencil to lightly shade in the vines and leaves.




I added some magenta and red into the center of the petals, since this rose is going to be redder/pinker again - a callback to the roses in the very first row.





I added a light cream to the very edges of the rose, and darkened some of the shadows with a dark red.




Then I blended the reds and cream together with a light peach color - and then changed my mind about how "neutral" it was starting to look, and added some more red back in instead. I also added in browns, to tone down the red a little and find that balance between neutral and saturated red.





I added a few details to the edges of the petals as well, using the cream colored pencil.

At this point, the entire drawing looks like this. It's almost finished - just a few final touches left to go on the green backgrounds behind this rose and the previous one (rose #29).





I added in more leaves, some brown shadows/stems, and "grass" (the short pencil strokes). I also blended the thorn-covered vine into the background a bit more by toning the green down with some browns and yellows.




And that's it! The drawing is finally complete. Tomorrow I will post some final pictures of the drawing in its entirety.

No comments:

Post a Comment