Monday, March 14, 2016

Detroit Riverwalk Petunias - Colored Pencil

As you saw in yesterday's post, downtown Detroit has some beautiful public landscaping, especially along its Riverwalk. I used one of the photos I took of those gardens to create this colored pencil piece last year: "Detroit Riverwalk Petunias."

It is available for purchase on Etsy here.

5"x7" in size, "Detroit Riverwalk Petunias" uses Prismacolor colored pencils and Strathmore Artgrain black paper. It comes with a 8"x10" white Crescent mat suitable for framing.









Here are some details of the drawing:





And here are the step-by-step process pictures of how I created this piece:

The original source photograph, which I cropped to the size I wanted and printed out








(This next step is just erasing the pencil marks so they wouldn't show through the colored pencil later.)











The black paper I was using was large enough for two 5"x7" drawings. Usually I cut the paper in half before I do the drawings, but sometimes I wait until they're finished to separate them. So here is the other colored pencil drawing I drew on this same piece of paper - Barcelona Roses, which I have already posted about here.



No comments:

Post a Comment