Monday, February 15, 2016

Colored Pencil Charts

For the holidays (and the purchases I made with holiday gift cards), I got some new colored pencils and some new drawing paper, which means that now I have even more options to work with when I do colored pencil drawings. Black paper, white paper, tan paper, and gray paper. Because the colored pencils look different on different hues (and some don't show up at all - like mid-range yellows on tan, or mid-range grayish-purples on gray), I decided to do a test to see what each color looked like on tan and gray paper.

I'll use these charts as reference in the future when I'm working on colored pencil drawings, so I know which colors to avoid (and which to definitely use!) on each style of paper.

I have so many colored pencils that I keep my Prismacolors in two separate containers, divided into warm and cool colors.

Here are some photos I took of my "cool" colored pencils - greens, yellow-greens, blues, blue-violets, and cool neutrals like gray, white, and black:





And here are the "warm" colors - reds, oranges, golden yellows, pinks, red-violets, and warm neutrals like tan and brown:







Here are all the colors together (the "warm" side of my gray paper chart, and the "cool" side of my tan paper chart):




All of these colored pencils are Prismacolor. The gray and tan paper are Strathmore brand.

No comments:

Post a Comment