Saturday, February 27, 2016

Roses with a Hint of Yellow and Orange

I was going through these blog posts recently and realized that I have a few colored pencil drawings I finished last year that I put up on Etsy but never got around to discussing on this blog. Oops!

So without further ado, here is the 5"x7" colored pencil drawing "Roses with a Hint of Yellow and Orange," which is available for purchase on Etsy here.









I also took photos of this drawing while I worked on it. Here is the first step - adding white. I used Prismacolor brand colored pencils on Strathmore tan toned paper. You can also see the source photo I used in these pictures - a photo of dry roses that I'd taken and manipulated to grayscale in Photoshop, printing it off in black and white.






After I had the highlights down, I added the shadows. Because it was tan paper, I decided to use a dark brown colored pencil for the shadows instead of a pure black.








Finally, I decided I wanted a little color after all - even though I had initially planned to keep it in the sepia white-brown spectrum. So I added just subtle hints of orange and yellow throughout the roses.

Adding yellow -


Adding orange -




Here are some more images of the finished drawing:








"Roses with a Hint of Yellow and Orange," is available for purchase on Etsy here. I also have a companion drawing that pairs with this one - "More Roses with a Hint of Yellow and Orange." I'll show those step-by-step pictures tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment