Monday, February 22, 2016

Updated Colored Pencil Chart

Recently, I posted some photos of some "color charts" I made of my Prismacolor colored pencils on gray and tan toned Strathmore paper. But now I have a bigger, better color chart to show off - one that has all of the colors side by side.

I decided I wanted to see how the colors looked on black and white paper as well, and that it would be nice to see how the same colored pencil would look on all of my paper options - so that in the future, when I go to use or purchase more pencils, I can better gauge which ones I use the most and which ones work the best on different papers.

So here is my new and improved color chart -






What I found most interesting was which colors didn't work at all on certain papers. The neon colors I recently purchased, for instance, do not show up on black paper - which is unfortunate, because I thought the neon would really pop against the black. Neon Pink, Neon Yellow, and Neon Orange are best used on white, tan, or gray paper. My metallic pencils, on the other hand, really stand out against the black paper; though they're also shiny and slightly metallic on the white, tan, and gray, they definitely work best on black - so I think I'll save those only for when I'm working on black paper.

As to be expected, a lot of the dark colors don't show up on black, and the lighter colors don't show up on white - and, to some extent, tan. The gray paper probably allows for the greatest set of visible colors - even colors that are grayish in tone compliment the gray paper well.

I also made sure to write down the colored pencil numbers on this chart as well, instead of just the name of the color. The numbers are at the very bottom of the pencil, so once they've been sharpened down to a stub, the names are no longer visible - but the numbers still are.

No comments:

Post a Comment