Saturday, November 14, 2015

Michigan Love

When it comes to living in Metro-Detroit, you could say I've done pretty much all of it in my 26 years. I was born in Washtenaw County, raised in Wayne County (shout-out to Canton, Michigan!), went to college in Washtenaw again (shout-out to Eastern Michigan University!), lived for a time in Genesee County (which wasn't so much Metro-Detroit as Metro-Flint, but whatever), and currently reside in Rochester Hills in Oakland County. As a substitute teacher, I worked at school districts in Oakland and Macomb. I've basically been all over the Detroit suburbs.

And one thing I've noticed, time and time again, is how much love and pride we Michiganders have - in Michigan as a whole, and in Detroit, our historically biggest city. When the nation gave up on Detroit, Michiganders didn't.

I know Michiganders aren't unique in their pride for their homestate - but at the same time it's not equally prevalent everywhere in the U.S. I think the reason for this comes from the population. 77% of the population currently living in Michigan was born in Michigan, and 72% of people born in Michigan are still in Michigan today. Compared to some other states, that's a huge retention rate! It's easier to have and maintain pride in your state if it's the only state you ever live in.

(That statistic, by the way, comes from this fascinating study of state-to-state immigration patterns. I could spend hours looking through all these graphs!)

In the last several posts I've gone through some Michigan-themed watercolors I've recently created - paintings that I think would make great holiday gifts for the Michiganders on your shopping list. (Check out all of my Michigan-themed artwork here!) I'm hardly the only shop on Etsy with Michigan-themed arts for sale - as I say, pride in this state runs deep! - but I do hope you'll take a look at my stuff. Though I don't always agree with the politics (especially in the last few years), I do generally and genuinely love the people (and definitely the scenery!) of this wonderful state, and I'd love an excuse to make more Michigan-themed art for fellow Michiganders (or Michiganders-at-heart!) to enjoy.

UPDATE:

My Michigan watercolors will be available for sale at the Paint Creek Center for the Arts Holiday Art Market in downtown Rochester from Nov 14 - Dec 23, 2015. Any that are not sold will be relisted on my Etsy shop, but for the span of the show I'm deactivating the Etsy listings.






Each of these watercolors goes for $49 (+ tax) and includes an 11"x14" white Crescent mat and mat backing suitable for framing.

The Holiday Art Market opening is Saturday, Nov 14 from 5 - 8:30 pm, and the show will be up until Dec. 23 - great for purchasing last minute holiday gifts.



No comments:

Post a Comment